On 6 May 2016. started the implementation of a new Law on Advertising (“Official Gazette of RS“, no. 6/2016; hereinafter “the Law“).
The new Law has re-introduced the freedom of advertising of alcoholic beverages with alcohol content of more than 20% through the electronic media. However, the advertising of these products is limited only to the night periods, i.e. for the period from 23:00 to 06:00 h and only in electronic media.
Unlike alcoholic beverages that contain percentage of alcohol greater than 20%, at those drinks with lower alcohol content advertising is allowed and in printed media, but only if they are not targeted or a thematically intended for children or minors. Additionally, advertising of alcoholic beverages (with alcohol percentage below 20%) is allowed:
- in a public space in a place that is at least 100 meters’ airline away from the nearest point of complex of the preschool, school, health care or facilities for minors;
- on the means of transport, except on the means of public transport;
- via electronic media, in cinemas, theatres or other areas where the performance is done, in the period from 18:00 to 06:00 h, unless they are thematically or targeted for children or minors;
- at or in relation to sporting events;
- via internet advertising.
Unlike a certain liberalisation of advertising of alcoholic beverages, the Law introduced a ban on advertising of electronic cigarettes, fluids and parts for electronic cigarettes, as well as other products that by their function represent or replace the cigarettes and other tobacco products, and in that manner the advertising of this type of products became equal with advertising of tobacco products.