Competition/antitrust have come to the fore in Serbia and other countries in the region, as they prepare for EU membership
Competition/antitrust have come to the fore in Serbia and other countries in the region, as they prepare for EU membership. While Serbian competition rules are generally based on the EU model, there are local peculiarities and practice which makes local expertise essential.
Our competition team is well versed both in local competition rules and in the relevant EU acquis. The competence of our competition lawyers is unparalleled in the Serbian market – all of them either have a PhD in competition law or are on the way of obtaining it. Such expertise, combined with our lawyers’ practical experience, enables us to swiftly and accurately respond to all competition-related queries.
We cover all areas of competition law (restrictive agreements abuse of dominance, merger control and state aid) and have significant experience in these fields.
In the area of restrictive agreements, our lawyers have drafted a number of individual exemption request to the Serbian, Montenegrin, and Bosnian competition authority, respectively. They have also defended undertakings in antitrust probes, both related to restrictive agreements and with respect to alleged abuse of dominance.
In the area of merger control, our lawyers have prepared dozens of merger filings throughout the region – in no-issue extraterritorial transactions and complex Phase II procedures alike.
Finally, we regularly advise on state aid issues, both as part of wider transaction support and as stand-alone issues.
- Analysis of horizontal and vertical agreements from, in particular from the perspective of block exemption rules
- Drafting and submission of individual exemption requests to the competition authority
- Drafting and submission of leniency applications
- Representing clients in antitrust proceedings before the competition authority
Abuse of dominance
- Analysis of commercial policies of dominant undertakings
- Drafting commercial policies of dominant undertakings to ensure they are in line with the applicable competition regulations
- Representing clients in abuse of dominance cases before the competition authority
- Drafting and submission of merger filings
- Analysis of the applicable merger filing thresholds and accompanying issues
- Representing clients in Phase II merger probes with respect to combinations which may raise competition concerns
- Analysis of state support to undertakings from the perspective of the applicable state aid rules
- Representing clients in the notification procedure before the state aid control authority
- Drafting the company’s antitrust compliance documents
- Training of the client’s management employees on the relevant competition law issues
- Competition law analysis as part of due diligence procedures
- Representing clients in competition litigation cases, both on the side of plaintiff and on the side of plaintiff
- Advising clients on alternative dispute resolution of competition claims
How we stand out?
- We are proud to be the only competition team in the region with two attorneys who hold a PhD in competition team.
- Merger filing app.We have developed an innovative way of checking the merger filing thresholds in Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Macedonia (FYROM) – an app available on our website. The app can be accessed
- Competition blog.Our competition blog (gajin.rs) is possibly the most relevant source of competition news and insights concerning the Western Balkans.
- Competition newsletter. Each month, our competition team publishes a competition newsletter with the latest developments in the Western Balkans. It is the only such publication around. To subscribe, please click here.
- Regional approach.We fully understand that our clients often view the Western Balkans as one market. Our lawyers have a plethora of experience throughout the region and are able to serve clients across the regional borders.
Dr. Dragan Gajin
Tel. +381 (0)11 414 33 60 (switchboard)
+381 (0)62 767 883 (cell)
News And Events
CONSTITUTIONAL COURT: alcohol in employee’s blood above 0.00‰ as reason for termination of employment
Employer can prescribe any presence of alcohol in employee’s blood above 0.00‰ as reason for termination of employmentRead more
Doklestic Repic & Gajin has contributed to a white paper on Cross Border Service Provisions in Europe, edited by ELA
Apart from Serbia, the white paper covers the rules governing cross border services in 30 other European countries.Read more
Serbia: Acquisition of Leading Retailer of Consumer Electronics Goes to Phase II
The Serbian competition authority has opened a Phase II investigation of a planned combination between two leading retailers of consumer electronics and home appliances.Read more
Serbia: Constitutional Court Rejects Application for Review of Protection of Information Provisions in Competition Act
The Serbian Constitutional Court has rejected the application for constitutional review of an article in the Competition Act regulating protection of information in proceedings before the country’s competition authority.Read more
Serbian Ministry of Finance specifies which documents verify employee’s commuting expenses
Ever since the Ministry of Finance issued an official opinion that the reimbursement of commuting costs should be documented with a credible document to be eligible for tax exemption.Read more